Sunday, February 27, 2011

Independent Spirit Award Highlights: Aveeno, Ruffalo, Black Swan

http://thedailyobsession.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ISA-logo.jpgAfter a week of pre-Oscar parties like Vanity Fair’s and the Sheer Cover-sponsored Dare2Care benefit, tons of celebrities and a few of us lucky beauty bloggers braved the ice-cold, blustery winds on the beach in Santa Monica today to stargaze at the annual Independent Spirit Awards. There, Black Swan took home top awards and celebrity spottings included ISA and Oscar nominee Mark Ruffalo (had to take a photo), Nicole Kidman (in a stunning L’Wren Scott red lace pencil dress), a very pregnant and glowing Natalie Portman (in a short yellow Givenchy number), Zoe Saldana (in awesome, vermilion Brian Atwood pumps), and Uma Thurman and newcomer Jennifer Lawrence (both most elegant in all-white Dolce & Gabbana).

Backstage doing touchups for the presenters was sponsor Aveeno‘s official spokesperson and branding consultant Patrick Melville, whose clients includes Demi Moore, Heidi Klum, Tom Cruise and Harry Connick, Jr., to name a few. An absolute sweetheart with an intriguing New York-London accent, Patrick was very calm, cool and collected despite having to touch up so many aggressively wind-blown hairstyles. So calm in fact, he just decided to “go with it” and not “fight nature.” (Beachy waves and messy updos galore!)

Aveeno had quite possibly the most serene lounge set-up in the area, complete with Aveeno Active Naturals product displays (new Nourish + Moisturize Conditioner, Positively Nourishing Calming Body Wash, Daily Moisturizing Lotion and Skin Brightening Daily Scrub). Celebrities like Diego Luna enjoyed drinks and snacks in the chic, Art Deco-inspired, glitter-adorned ELLE Green Room. Other sponsors, some of whom had awards in their name, included Jameson (the official house spirit of the evening along with G. H. Mumm Champagne), Piaget, Acura, Stella Artois, LG Cinema 3D, HTC, smartwater and Netflix. All in all, despite the cold, it was a great, laid-back ceremony filled with tons of humor (thanks in part to host Joel McHale) and stars who seemed like they were in the best of moods — the perfect ramp up to tomorrow’s much-hyped Oscars!

Shangri-la Tokyo

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5471063751_9a256075ce_b.jpg“This is Shangri-la,” said the concierge, nodding towards the thousands of sparkling chandelier crystals that illuminated silk tapestries and gilded artwork that decorated the hotel’s sky lobby. Located in the top floors of a corporate park and perched above Tokyo Station, the Shangri-la Tokyo, certainly was every bit the oasis worthy of it’s namesake, a gem among the city’s skyscrapers. Last month I ventured to Japan for the first time, and took the opportunity to check in- and check out- the newest luxury hotel in Tokyo.

Keeping Things Hot at The Ember Room

http://thedailyobsession.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tumblr_lgm8pv3dCN1qfa1jxo1_1280.jpgI didn’t do anything I was supposed to do on Chinese New Year Eve: I didn’t wear red, I didn’t eat longevity noodles, and I didn’t wear new clothes ( I did call my mom though.) But I did celebrate it in Asian style by attending the opening of the newest Asian barbeque Todd English (Fig and Olive, Olive’s)/Ian Chalermkittichai (Kittichai) venture, The Ember Room

In Bloom

I am really digging Smashbox‘s new spring collection, In Bloom. It’s full of soft colors, glowing skin, and shimmering eyes and the overall look is just so pretty. It would be perfect to wear with a long, flowy dress and wavy hair in the warmer weather. (Even Los Angeles is rainy and cold as I’m writing this, so I’m looking forward to that too!)

Probably my favorite item in the collection is the In Bloom Eye Shadow Palette & Brush

Add to Your Aura

I know in this economy, it isn’t exactly the time to be talking about makeup splurges, but if you’re looking for something to treat yourself to that you normally wouldn’t spend the money on, I highly suggest picking up a piece from the new Hourglass Aura Spring 2011 collection. It’s a small number of products – only two, actually, with three shades each – but I’ve been having a blast playing around with the two pieces I got my hands on.

I work long hours, so any time I can find a product that lasts on me, I’m all for it. Especially when it’s a blush, which is usually one of my least favorite products (I just find them kind of… boring). The Aura Sheer Cheek Stain comes in a convenient stick with a twist up bottom that allows you to control how much product you put on (kind of important with stains). I tested out the Flush shade, which is described as a berry pink, by applying it to my cheeks with the spongy applicator, then blending it in with my fingertips. It gave my pale skin a very natural amount of color (I was careful not to put on too much) but even more impressive, it lasted all day. And I mean, ALL DAY. I looked in the mirror at lunch and when I got home late that night and it still looked almost as fresh as it had that morning, which is amazing. The only downside is the $45 price tag, which is kind of a bummer because I liked it so much, I would’ve run out and gotten the other two shades, Petal (a peachy pink) and Rouge (a soft plum) if I could’ve afforded it. But we all know expensive products are a great splurge once in a while (as long as they actually work!) and this one is well worth checking out as a treat after a hard week at work.

The other new item in their spring collection is the Aura Sheer Lip Stain. It also comes in Flesh and Petal, but the third shade here is called Scarlet (but it’s also a soft plum). For this one, I tried out Petal. It’s a gorgeous shade perfectly suited for spring, and it’s super easy to apply with its sponge tip applicator. (You can also layer it on to make the shade darker). On me, it doesn’t last as long as the cheek stain, but I’d still say that I get a good 3-4 hours out of it before it starts to fade, which is a good amount of time. It also doesn’t dry my lips out, which is a common problem for me with lip stains, so I consider that a plus. It’s definitely a little more affordable to pick up one of these at $26, so if you’re trying to add a touch of spring to your makeup, make sure you swing by your nearest Sephora and check them out.


Lust List: February 2011

Tory Burch PJs

Happy President’s Day everyone!!! I absolutely love love love a three day weekend during the winter, when I can just curl up in bed with a mug of hot chocolate on a Monday morning when I’d usually be trekking to work. Today I’m wearing my new Tory Burch Pajama Set which I got for Valentine’s Day, and am feeling so snuggled up and happy that I just had to write about it!

I have an affinity towards long sleeved, button down sleep shirts. There’s just something about them that is so sexy in an “I’m not even trying” kind of way. The Tory top is roomy and comfortable, but still very sexy in a playful feminine way. I actually really dislike long PJ pants, so these drawstring cotton shorts are perfect for me- easy to move around in the apartment, yet still appropriate if I have to pop out into the hallway for something quick.

I also love all the little detailing from her logo buttons, to the front pockets, to the burgundy trim. After all, this is by Tory Burch, who elevates even the most basic items into something charming. Goodbye to the days of “scrubbing” at home! This particular set is still available on her website- but be on the look out for new designs and themes.

Wild Storm

Usually my nail polish obsessions wear off fairly quickly, but I’ve been totally crazy about gray nails for over a year now and the phase shows no signs of wearing off. The newest entry into my obsession is Estee Lauder’s Wild Storm, from their new spring Wild Violet collection. It’s the most gorgeous smoky gray, but it also has a hint of shimmer in it, which adds depth to the shade. I love how classic the gray nail is – it’s totally daytime appropriate, but it also looks great at night and it goes with almost everything in my closet. (I like playing around with funky colors, but I really don’t like the way it looks if I’m wearing say, a light purple on my fingers and then I wear a red jacket. I know some people don’t mind that, but it always bothers me, for some reason).

It’s a bit of a splurge at $19, but it’s a limited edition, so if you don’t grab it up now you may miss out (and we all know what a bummer that is). You can find Wild Violet on all Estee Lauder counters now.

7 Things I’ve Liked So Far from FW11

There’s only 1 more day left of the craziness that is Fall Fashion Week 2011, and I’ve picked out my favorite 7 things from this week from both in and outside the tents:

1. Fur-hooded parkas were ubiquitous on the runways this season, and officially on my lust list for Fall/Winter. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the weather in NY this week has been frigid, arctic tundra cold, making the outerwear shown this week especially appropriate. Altuzarra, Vera Wang, and Cynthia Steffe had some of my favorites, balancing the ruggedness of the fur parkas with delicate-cut, feminine dresses. Altuzarra showed one with almost every one of his 37 looks, in the army-green hue, varying between cropped and longer lengths, and Vera Wang preferred her usual raven-black, mixing the fox-fur trim inside and outside her outerwear.

2. Speaking of Altuzarra, this fascinating profile of the designer from the NYTimes is a great read, and really cements a fact that’s been proven to be true since the recession: that is, to be a successful designer these days, it’s not just about the fashion design or the celebrity front-row seating plan, but also smart business. Based upon his cool smarts, his packed show and my first-hand witnessing of the madness at Milk Studios the day of his show, I would say that Altuzarra is definitely a definitely a designer to keep looking out for and I’m excited to see what he has to offer for the future!

Obsession of the Moment: Jessica Ricci Jewelry Roman Lace Cuff


No comments:

Post a Comment